Monday, May 30, 2011
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Click here to see the tutorial!
Monday, May 23, 2011
Thursday, May 19, 2011
So after years and years of piling the guest bedroom full of all the junk we didn't want to deal with, we finally cleaned it out. It has taken a great deal of time but was completely worth it because I finally get a craft room/office! I have organized all of my supplies so now the decorating process begins. While I typically love a neutral, serene color scheme, I have totally different plans for this room. I want it to be fun and colorful and most of all, girly with lots of pink. I have plenty of inspiring ideas and am now shopping for the perfect decor without spending a fortune. I'll keep you updated as I pull it all together to create my perfect little craft room.
Color and Design Inspiration
|You are my fave|
|Cupcakes and Cashmere|
|Better Homes and Gardens|
Saturday, May 14, 2011
Linking to the DIY Project Parade at The DIY Show Off
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
This post is exciting to me because it one that I have greatly anticipated. Most of my other projects have been completed within a week but this furniture make-over has taken a good bit of time. The general labor didn't take any longer than expected but with all the crazy weather in Alabama recently, I was constantly dragging these very heavy pieces to and from the garage. One of my mom's best friends had this antique dresser/mirror and bed in her basement and asked me if I would want to fix it up to sell. I had so many ideas and I was so excited to finally get to put them to use. While the furniture had a very pretty structure and elegant engraved detail, it was definitely in need of some work.
The top had a laminate coating on parts of it so first off, that had to go.
The legs were part laminate as well so I removed it all.
I had never used an electric sander, and while it was much faster than a sanding block, the thing was quite powerful. After I got used to it, I decided it was definitely a tool that I would be using from now on.
I decided to skip the pictures of the primer stage because primer just isn't all that pretty or interesting. I chose the base color to be a creamy white called "Woodlawn Lace" and then I added a brown glaze to accentuate the ornate detail. I used the electric sander again to distress the edges and then sealed the furniture with a polyurethane coating.
For the drawers, I wanted to add a stripe that was still in the neutral family but would create a soft contrast against the base color. I chose a shade called "Toasted Almond" which is a grayish/beige color. I felt that the stripes were defined, yet subtle.
The little key hole adds such elegant charisma.
I really liked the original hardware because it shows the age of the furniture.
I just love how the combination of the glaze with the distressing brings out these details.
As much as I loved working on these pieces, I have to say the staging of the furniture was just as rewarding. What a fun job that would be!
Of course, Presleigh had to be part of the project too. She thought it would be a good selling factor.
Once everything was complete, I could really stand back and admire the bedroom suite. If only the bed were queen size, my current bedroom furniture would be for sale and this would be mine. My favorite part of the make-over would definitely be the dresser. I am in love with striped furniture and the simple colors are just my style. Now I'm on the lookout for a piece in my house that would be a good candidate for the same sort of striping action.