Saturday, May 14, 2011

Monogram Tray


Lately I have been seeing trays with all sorts of modern designs and funky, bright colors. I especially love the addition of large monogram in the center. I happened to have an unpainted wooden tray so I decided to give it a try. I decided to paint the tray gold to dress it up a bit. I measured the inside of the tray and cut a piece of fabric to the same dimensions. Then, I applied a layer of mod podge to the bottom of the tray, placed the fabric inside, and applied a top coat of mod podge. I created a stencil of my initials using Microsoft Word, traced the letters onto felt, and cut them out. That part was the most time consuming step. I smeared another thin layer of mod podge in the middle to hold the letters in place and then another over coat of mod podge. I think I still need to apply a glaze to seal everything but I'm still researching what I should use. I chose a black and white print fabric and used a coral color felt for the monogram to create a fun color scheme with the fancy gold edges. I think these would make super cute gifts and could be used in a variety of ways. I can't wait to put together other color and fabric combinations.


Linking to the DIY Project Parade at The DIY Show Off


4 comments:

  1. Cute tray, Lauren. I like the hot pink with the black and white fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'just found your blog...so glad I did! It's absolutely lovely :) I'm completely inspired by your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! This turned out absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the gold watch. It's amazing how watches can make such a impact in the appearance of someone.


    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete